High Street Area D10
Area D10 Nos. 38 – 28 High Street
Over 150 years of re-
Conjectural map showing area D10 in c1780 with its two original sites
shown outlined in green and blue. The houses are outlined in pink.
There were two original sites in this area by the 18th century and probably long before that. The largest of the two was held from the manor of Broadwater and was described in 1711 as ‘All that messuage , barn and buildings, one orchard of one acre called Gills (Giles) together with 7 acres of land (in the open fields)’. In 1751 the house and garden were sold separately from the orchard. The orchard was sold later in 1792. The original larger site is outlined in green on the above map of c1780.
Between the ‘messuage’ (house) and Worthing Street (now High Street) was a smaller site held of the manor of St. Johns, Lancing. By circa 1780 two houses had been built on this site which is shown outlined in blue on the above map, with the two houses marked in pink.
After a great deal of re-
‘Crown House’ built on the sites of Nos.38 – 32 High Street.
[Photograph dated January 1984].