High Street No. 58
D7.5 No.58 High Street (Manor House).
Part of the 1852OS map showing No.58 High Street (Manor House)
outlined in pink and the property boundaries outlined in green.
The building on this site was an ancient freehold property of Broadwater manor which can be traced back to the mid 17th century when it was owned and occupied by Thomas Campion. It was then described as ‘a messuage, barn, garden and 7 acres of land known as Cookes’, which may have had a connection with a Thomas Cook who is listed in the 1641 Protestation Returns for Broadwater parish. When Thomas Campion died in 1647 his will required his executors to sell the property to pay off his debts etc. and any remaining money was to be shared amongst his wife and children. At some time during the second half of the 17th century Edward Walker of Clayton acquired the property, (possibly from the sale by Campion’s executors) when it was occupied by Henry English. Edward Walker’s wife Elizabeth survived him and is recorded as a tenant from at least 1673 until her death in 1690, when the property passed to her son Thomas Walker of Lindfield. For many years the farm was known as ‘Walker’s Farm’. On 7th May 1692 the property was sold to Thomas Fairhall, also of Lindfield and four years later in 1696 Fairhall sold it to John Woods of Lancing for £50.
After further transactions in 1702 and 1713 the property was acquired by Richard Newland from Richard Barham, the elder, of Lindfield. Richard Newland lived in the property until his death in the 1750s. It was then held by the Newland family for many years and locally known as ‘Newland’s Farm House’. An inventory and valuation of all the furniture of the ‘Farm House’ taken in 1827 totals £73 – 2s -
Edward Snewin, in his book Glimpses of Old Worthing, recorded the property ‘was originally known as the Old Farm House’ and that ‘It has been a good deal altered by the addition of a slate roof and a new front facing the street’ [p.146]. Snewin further records that the old Manor House, as it was later known, was ‘once a prosperous-
No.58 High Street – ‘Manor House’, (date of illustration unknown).
For some obscure reason the Farm House was named the ‘Manor House’ from circa 1848. This is puzzling since the house was built on Broadwater manor land and the original Manor House for Broadwater was located in the village of Broadwater (and still survives in 2012 as a school). The building illustrated above also has no connection with the smaller manor of Worthing and the reason for this name, as yet, cannot be satisfactorily explained.
Occupants for this house are recorded in local Directories until 1935 and by 1937 it had become the offices for Searles Manor Garage which was built in 1927. In 1945 Edward Snewin records in his book (p.147), that the Old Manor House ‘now looks very forlorn as the offices of the Manor Garage’ (see photo below).
An advert from the Worthing Herald of Saturday 12th June 1937 showing
No.58 High Street in use as the offices of Searles Manor Garage.
[By courtesy of the Worthing Herald].
The demolition of No.58 High Street (offices of Searles Garage) prior to 1974.
Prior to 1974 the old house was demolished (see Photograph above) and Searles had a new Ford car showrooms built in 1974.
Searles new car showrooms (in centre) in 1976.
In 1983 the car showrooms were taken over and re-
Demolition of the former Searles Showrooms and garage in September 1984.
1824 Edward Padwick (?)
1828 – 1838 Thomas Harvey Goble
1841 Eliza Shaft (?) – independent
1846 Rose Heather
1850 – 1851 Robert Watkins
1851 Charles Roberts – wine merchant
1861 Clara Forth -
1861 Eliza Skinner -
1862 – 1876 Jane Watkins
1881 – 1882 R.Curtis
1884 – 1886 Mrs King
1888 – 1890 H.A.Loughman Esq.
1891 – 1894 Fanny Emma Ann Tribe -
1895 – 1897 T.Cowley
1898 – 1904 A.A.Woodward
1906 – 1935 Mrs Barron
1937 – c1973 Offices of ‘Searles Manor Garage’.
[Demolished for Searles new motor showrooms].
Rear of premises (east).
1914 – 1920 Jordan’s stables
1921 – 1975 Jordan & Cook Auction Rooms
1964 – 1975 Jordan & Cook Chapel of Rest
1927 – 1975 F.G.Searle & Co. (Searle of Worthing Ltd) – garage.
[Demolished in 1984 and site covered by Safeway Supermarket from 1987].
Courtesy of Worthing Museum No. 1978/60