High Street No. 3
D5.2 No. 3 High Street (originally No. 2 The Colonnade).
Part of 1852OS map showing No.3 High Street.
In 1821 this part of the Colonnade was described as a lodging house owned by a Mr Isaac Cooper of London. Rate books confirm that he had been the owner from at least 1818 until his death in circa 1826. For the next two years the property was in the hands of his executors and the Hide Survey of 1838 reveals the owner/occupier was Deborah Boyce. By 1846 the property was owned and occupied by Richard Tompkins and then descended through his relatives until circa 1881. By 1888 the property became a Day and Boarding School run by a Miss Dorey and it was in that year that the disastrous fire started in No.3 High Street. During the fire three terrified females in their nightdresses were rescued from their balcony by Police Sergeant Byrne who was on duty at the time. The fire started around 2am and by 2-
No.3 High Street completely gutted after the fire of 1888
Although the Colonnade was rebuilt after the fire, Nos.1, 5, and 7 High Street were re-
1818 – 1826 Isaac Cooper
1826 – 1828 William Henry Cooper
1838 – 1841 Deborah Boyce
1846 Richard Tompkins
1850 – 1851 Captain Newland Richard Tompkins
1856 – 1862 Kate Tompkins
1861 Ellen Coast – widow
1866 Devisees of Kate Tompkins
1866 – 1872 Henry Tompkins
1874 – 1880 Empty
1881 Elizabeth Tompkins (Elizabeth in census – Emily in rate book?)
1888 Miss Dorey – Day and Boarding School
1888 [Fire gutted building and no further occupants shown until 1940]
1940 Modern Decorators
1949 – 1958 Grosvenor Portraits
1962 – 1975 Vincent H.Jackson – solicitors.