D2.3 Nos. 35 and 33 High Street.
At the end of the 19th century this site was part of an old enclosure of John Penfold which contained a house (later No.33) on the north-
James Mackcoull in his ‘A Sketch of Worthing and its Environs’(1811) wrote ‘The Barracks are a disgrace to Worthing and the sooner they are pulled down the better. They resemble more a dog kennel, than a place of human habitation’.
On 19th October 1812 a meeting was held at the George Inn in Worthing for the purpose of establishing a public school in Worthing ‘for the gratuitous educating the Poor male children of the Parish of Broadwater’ and the school was to be known as the Free School.
John Penfold, the proprietor of a barn, buildings, yard and premises near the High Street lately used as Barracks, agreed to let the property to the school committee at a rent of £20 on a lease of not less than seven years. The barn was fitted out as a school room according to plans drawn up by Edward Hide, a builder, who lived in the house (No.33) and the Free School was opened on 1st January 1813 for the education of poor children in the parish.
Edward Snewin in his book ‘Glimpses of Old Worthing’ recalls that the school itself was an old barn with a thatched roof and a bell turret, standing at the end of a small garden. There was an entrance to the school from High Street (to the north of the house). The Free School became a National School by circa 1823 and was transferred to Richmond Road in circa 1834, after which Edward Hide took over the old premises as a workshop.
Part of the 1852 OS map showing the location of Nos. 33 & 35 High Street
(outlined in green) adjoining the site of No.37 (the corn store) on the north.
The house and workshop continued to be used by a succession of builders. By the early 20th century the premises were used by Hollands & Son as a printing works (No.35) and the last entry in the Directories is recorded in 1934/35. The property was later demolished for road widening and part of the site is used as a car park.
Occupants List for Nos. 35 and 33.
As the properties on this site have undergone many changes over the years, it has been almost impossible to establish whether the entries in the rate books and directories refer solely to the house (No.33), the workshops (No.35) or a combination of both. Therefore, the following list of occupants for the site has been produced in a chronological date order only.
1813 – 1834 Free School / National School
1819 – 1836 Edward Hide junior – builder
1838 – 1876 Hide & Patching
1841 – 1861 William Patching – builder
1862 Hide & Patching – builders
1877 – 1883 Hide & Co. – builders
1884 Mr. C. Hide
1881 – 1902 Mr Charles Christopher Cook – builder
1903 Jordan & Gray Stores
1904 – 1911 Herbert Williams -
1904 – 1935 Hollands & Son – printers & bookbinders
1926 Jordan & Cook – builders’ workshop
A photograph taken in the 1930s showing Nos37 – 33 High Street. No.33 is on the left, No.35 in the centre and the old corn store (No.37) in on the right.
A photograph showing a car park on the site after the
demolition of Nos.37 – 33 High Street.